Tuesday 17 January 2012

Creative Me

Asked to write 'My Creative Story', I draw a blank. I pause to think that there MUST be more to me than a blank.  :)  Then I realize in order to share 'My Creative Story', I have to figure out what it is, articulate it, THEN in order to share it with you I need to build a blog page (new territory)......WHEW....a daunting task.

So Welcome and Thank You for reading.

I would say that my 'creative' side usually got pushed to the back burner to make sure the daily chores were always done. Married, kids, household and a job took up most of my time and energy, and by days end, I crashed.

Now I am looking at 50, the kids are grown for the most part, and my 'Creative Me' is knocking on the door to be let out.

I have always dabbled in some sort of craft, whether it be picture taking, scrapbooking, stained glass, pottery, painting, or needle work of some sort (needle point, cross stitch, knitting). It was to just relax at the end of the day for an hour before bed to get some 'me' time in, to feed my soul. I guess knitting was my latest creative outlet, as I would sit on the couch, relax, be soothed by the texture of the soft wool that ravelled its way through my fingers into my next creation.

BUT.....

I prefer to be out and about in nature. I always enjoyed taking photos/snapshots....and now I want to take photos as I see the subjects, through my eyes. I am beginning to see the subject in a different light, and I want to try to capture in a photo what I am seeing and feeling, to draw the viewer in and explore the contents of the photo and escape their world for just for a minute....just like I do when a photo takes me in.

In the last year I have felt my creativeness grow, I want to nourish it in any way that I can. I have been taking way too many photos to ever go through....but it has been FUN!! And I have taken a few mini classes in Photography, and played in Photoshop.

Just recently a friend referred me to Kim Klassen's Cafe to take the Skinny Mini ecourse....then Beyond Layers. So here I am, ready to see where this journey is going to take me next. I look forward to every day of it!

14 comments:

  1. Hello, Terry.
    I love the blog you have rested to record your journey 'beyond layers'. I know what you're saying about creativity being put on the back burner, I guess it applies to a lot of us who have signed up with Kim. It sounds like this is the right time for you to explore your creativity ... I look forward to seeing your works we progress.
    Best wishes
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Terry! I enjoy being out amongst nature myself and photographing any and everything that looks odd or different. It's all such beauty!
    Please ignore Google, my blog is here: http://scrapyourlife.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice meeting you and reading your story, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story. It is so easy to put your creativity to one side isn't it? So pleased that you are able to explore it now and look forward to seeing where Beyond Layers takes you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your story. I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much know what you mean by "escaping" into photography. On a good day with no distractions, its like time ceases to exist. I see details of nature, so intricate yet beautiful...patterns of life.

    What a beautiful Brownie you've got in your blog banner! Looks like you are off to a wonderful start in blog-ville!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry, I would never have thought your blog page was "new territory" for you! It is lovely, and your creative story is full of promise. I share your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Terry, I also love being out and about in Nature. It is nice to meet you and I look forward to participating in Beyond Layers with you.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your story! I agree - your blog looks and feels wonderful! Great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to ready your story! I love the image on your blog - beautiful texture and feel to the image. I think a lot of us are in a similar place. It's time to reach out of our comfort zone and make something happen. Looking forward to the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your header photo and your story. Here's to a terrific "beyond layers" year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so late at getting by to read your story. You and I have so much in common. It seems like there are a lot of us 'almost' empty nesters just dying to get out and find ourselves. Look forward to seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Terry
    Reading your story was like reading my own. I never got around to writing it. We are similar in so many ways, but I'm a wee bit older :( being 56.
    I am looking forward to the next year and hope we can grow to be friends.
    Thanks for 'following' me.
    from Miriam in Northern Ireland x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice to meet you Terry! Your blog is off to a great and beautiful start. I think we all have a lot to be looking forward to in our year of Beyond Layers. Can't wait to see where it takes you. Best wishes, Sarah:)

    ReplyDelete